European project designed to enhance the use of video as a tool to teach (minority and/or foreign) languages. Its main aim is to foster the adoption of the project-based approach as a methodology to get students to learn a language while they produce their own video projects. Initial research will be undertaken to establish how teachers feel about the use of video production and what skills and experience they have in this area. From the results of the research, the project team will create a video gallery and will develop an online manual and online training courses targeted at in-service teachers and teacher trainers.
The manual and the video gallery will capture didactic proposals for teaching children aged 10-18 and will include the following languages: Catalan, Dutch, English, German, Icelandic, Italian, Maltese, Spanish and Romanian.
- October 1, 2008
- September 30, 2010
- Comissió Europea (141759-LLP-1-2008-1-DE-COMENIUS-CMP).
- 390.420 €
- Budget for the University Autònoma of Barcelona:
- 41.740 €
- Research leader:
- Armin Hottmann (Kulturring in Berlin E.V.)
- Research leader at Barcelona:
- Dr. Dolors Masats Viladoms (GREIP)
- GREIP Researchers team:
- Dr. Melinda Dooly Owenby, Dr. Virginia Unamuno Kaschapava, Òscar Bermell Massana.
- Participating universities:
- Kulturring in Berlin E.V. (DE), Talenacadamie (NL), Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (SP), Centre d’Educació Infantil i Primària Catalunya (SP), University of Pitesti (RO), PNM Language Services Limited (UK), Iceland University of Education (IS)
- Project's webpage with video materials and resources for teachers:http://divisproject.eu/
- Blog of the catalan team (year one): http://blocs.xtec.cat/divis
- Blog of the catalan team (year two):http://blocs.xtec.cat/videocatalunya/
- Blog of the catalan team (year three): http://blocs.xtec.cat/videocatalunya2010/
- Final report
Publications by GREIP members
Dooly, M. & Masats, D. (2011). Closing the loop between theory and praxis: New models in EFL teaching. Oxford ELT Journal. Availabe here.
Masats, D., Dooly, M. & Costa, X. (2009). Exploring the potential of language learning through video making. In L. Gómez Chova, D. Martí Belenguer & I. Candel Torres (eds.) Proceedings of EDULEARN09 Conference (pp. 341-352). Valencia: IATED. ISBN: 978-84-612-9802-0. Original article in english. German translation of full article.
DIVIS papers published by non-GREIP members
- Dal, M. (2009). Digital Video Production in Foreign Language Learning in Europe. In T. Bastiaens et al. (eds.) Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2009 (pp. 1203-1208). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. ISBN: 1-880094-76-2.