Wave properties of neutral atoms naturally emerge as they are cooled down to temperatures close to the absolute zero. In this regime, their dynamics is governed by single-particle quantum effects such as the tunnel effect as well as by many-particle quantum effects such as interactions and entanglement. We investigate, from a theoretical point of view, the dynamics of ultracold atoms, matter-wave solitons, and Bose-Einstein condensates trapped in optical potentials with a special focus on designing protocols for an efficient and robust transport of ultracold atoms to be used in matter wave interferometry and atomtronic devices.
- "Quantum sensing using imbalanced counter-propagating Bose-Einstein condensate modes", G. Pelegrí, J. Mompart, V. Ahufinger, New Journal of Physics 20, 103001 (2018)
- “Single-atom edgelike states via quantum interference”, G. Pelegrí, J. Polo, A. Turpin, M. Lewenstein, J. Mompart, V. Ahufinger, Phys. Rev. A 95, 013614 (2017)
- “Geometrically induced complex tunnelings for ultracold atoms carrying orbital angular momentum”, J. Polo, J. Mompart, V. Ahufinger, Phys. Rev. A 93, 033613 (2016)
- “Optimal conditions for spatial adiabatic passage of a Bose-Einstein condensate”, J. L. Rubio, V. Ahufinger, T. Busch, J. Mompart, Phys. Rev. A 94, 053606 (2016)
- “Transport of ultracold atoms between concentric traps via spatial adiabatic passage”, J. Polo, A. Benseny, T. Busch, V. Ahufinger, J. Mompart, New Journal of Phys. 18, 015010 (2016)
- “Analysis beyond the Thomas-Fermi approximation of the density profiles of a miscible two-component Bose-Einstein condensate”, J. Polo, V. Ahufinger, P. Mason, S. Sridhar, T. P. Billam, S. A. Gardiner, Phys. Rev. A 91, 053626 (2015)
- “Single-atom interferometer based on two-dimensional spatial adiabatic passage”, R. Menchon-Enrich, S. McEndoo, T. Busch, V. Ahufinger, J. Mompart, Phys. Rev. A 89, 053611 (2014)
- “Spatial adiabatic passage: a review of recent progress”, R. Menchon-Enrich, A. Benseny, V. Ahufinger, A. D. Greentree, J. Mompart, Reports on Progress in Physics 79, 074401 (2016)
- “Ultracold atomic gases in optical lattices: mimicking condensed matter physics and beyond”, M. Lewenstein, A. Sanpera, V. Ahufinger, B. Damski, A. Sen(De), U. Sen, Advances in Physics 56, 243 (2007)
- "A quantum sensing device, a system comprising the device, and a method for measuring using the device", V. Ahufinger, J. Mompart, G. Pelegrí, T-2017-034EP (2018), pending patent (Spain and UK).