Preparing future English teachers with digital teaching competences and the know-how for application to practice: a collaborative task between university teachers, school tutors and pre-service teachers
The project aims to improve the training of Primary Education pre-service students from the Autonomous University of Barcelona who choose to study their fourth year in the English specialization. This group consists of about 40 future teachers, half of whom have completed their studies in English and the other half has done it in Catalan.
The project proposes two types of specific objectives. On the one hand, we want to implement a proposal for innovation in the training of future English specialists through collaborative work among teachers from the university, school teachers and teacher-trainers. On the other hand, we want to do research on the feasibility and challenges posed by our proposal for innovation. For this reason, we formulate the following objectives:
- Contribute to the development of the digital competence through engaging future teachers in telecollaborative training practices with students from an American university and with their own peers.
- Ensure that during the practicum V in schools, the experience of future teachers serves as scaffolding that enables them to design and implement educational proposals that allow elementary students to develop digital skills.
- Create a training model that draws on joint work between University teachers and practice tutors, schools' practice tutors and teachers trainers to ensure the development of professional skills related to the use of new technologies in the classroom and communication management by all stakeholders.
- Promote the improvement of English language proficiency of future teachers through observation and analysis of their discourse practices in the classroom during the performance of the subject of practices V.
Our research objectives are related to the evaluation of our proposal for innovation and observation of the challenges, this makes us want to answer the following questions:
- How are teaching and digital knowledge and skills built?
- What mechanisms help in training teachers to transfer their practical knowledge and skills acquired as learners?
- What procedures promote cooperation for improving teaching quality? What challenges need to be addressed?
- Can discourse analysis in the classroom itself contribute to the improvement of communicative competence in the classroom?
- Code: 2015 ARMIF 00010
- From: 28/07/2016
- To: 27/07/2018
- Sponsor: Agència de Gestió d'Ajuts Universitaris i de Recerca, Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Amount allocated: 9.750,00 €
- PI: Dr. Dolors Masats, UAB
- Other GREIP researchers: Dr. Melinda Dooly, Dr. Luci Nussbaum, Dr. Xavier Pascual, Claudia Vallejo.
- GREIP associates: Randall Sadler, Constanza Tolosa, Javier Barba, Maria Mont.
- Other members: Primary Education teachers: Josep Cortada, Marta Rueda, and UAB Primary Education -English specialization- pre-service teachers.