Designing a Teacher Training Model for Semi Immersion Classrooms in a Foreign Language
The construction of the UE claims for a citizenship to be able to exchange in different foreing languages. A new option is CLIL, Programmes of Linguistic semiimersion that combine foreign teaching languages with teaching curricular contents.
According to the results from our research in CLIL, within the set of projects ARTICLE, we have found that non-expert teachers find difficulties when planning, applying and assessing didactic units CLIL. For that reason, our main aim is to desing a model for training teachers in planning and developing CLIL activities. We will use natural data gathered in secondary inclusive CLIL classrooms.
Our research takes into account the opportunities when working in a collaborative way with expert and non expert teachers. Non-expert teachers conform the group doing the Pràcticum at CQP,
- practical sessions in order to get the teaching degree. Since this Pràcticum is developed in two contexts, High Schools and the University, we have organized our model involving: research-action and self-apprenticeship. Our main pruposes are:
1. To allow non-expert teachers (practicioners CQP) to test didactic units CLIL, designed by themselves. These didactic units will be developed supported by tutors in Foreign Language teaching and tutors in other curricular contents.
2. To invite praticioners to present their results in order to be evaluated and adjusted between all participants.
3. To organize seminars to promote discussions about obtained results between expert and non-expert teachers. These exchanges will be the foundations to formulate a CLIL teachers training model.
1. To overcome estereotypes and prejudices about apprenticeship in multilingual contexts.
2. To establish communication channels between foreing language teachers and other curricular content teachers.
3. To improve the management of activities in the semi-immersion classrooms.
4. To overcome the sense of distruct when teaching "in tandem" (two teachers sharing a classroom).
5. To develop relevant professional competences and skills in the teaching of curricular contents in a foreing language.
- March 2006
- March 2007. Període de renovació demanat pel curs 2007-8.
- Renovation. From:
- March 2008
- March 2009.
- DURSI (2006 ARIE 10011, 2007 ARIE 00011)
- 12.000 €
- Research leader:
- Dr Cristina Escobar Urmeneta
- Participating universities:
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona i Universitat de Lleida
- GREIP research team:
- Dr Cristina Escobar Urmeneta, Dr Melinda Dooly Owenby,
- Dr. Artur Noguerol Rodrigo, Dr Luci Nussbaum Capdevila,
- Dr Virginia Unamuno Kaschapava, Laura Llobet Garcés,
Dr Dolors Masats Viladoms, Zoraida Horrillo Godino
- External collaborators:
- Dr Carmen Pérez Vidal, Maria Rosa Batlle Pou, Margarita
- Caballero de los Arcos, Adriana Cordeiro Azebedo,
- Mª Àngels Hernández Sierra, Azucena Pé Estella,
- Antonio Sánchez Sola, Josep Maria Cots,
- Moltserrat Oller, Jordi Deulofeu Piquet, Montserrat Pagès,
- Núria Pelàez Carballo, Montserat Irun, Elisabeth Eixarch,
- Marta Gallart