Departament de Traducció i d’Interpretació
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
18-20, June 2012
FIRST SPECIALIST SEMINAR ON THE DIDACTICS OF TRANSLATION
18-20 June 2012
ATTENTION: PLEASE BEWARE THERE ARE NO VACANCIES LEFT.
Seminar Organiser: PACTE Group
Steering committee: Mònica Fernández-Rodríguez, Anabel Galán-Mañas, Amparo Hurtado Albir, Patricia Rodríguez-Inés, Lupe Romero Ramos.
The Specialist Seminar on the Didactics of Translation is designed to provide a forum for the discussion of issues of interest to translator trainers. It will take place every two years. The main aims of the Specialist Seminar are to:
- Further knowledge and understanding of conceptual and methodological issues in translation teaching.
- Discuss innovative teaching practices in translator training
- Discuss aspects of the teaching of other disciplines involved in translator training
Target group: Master’s and PhD students, teachers of translation, professional translators
Periodicity: every two years.
Languages: Spanish (language of the seminar). Working languages for the workshops: Spanish, Catalan, English, French, German.
Teaching staff: Allison Beeby, Anabel Borja, Frederic Chaume, Olivia Fox, Anabel Galán, Isabel García, Silvia Gamero, Gabi Grauwinkel, Amparo Hurtado, Anna Kuznik, Josep Marco, Marta Pahisa, Patricia Rodríguez, Lupe Romero, Stefanie Wimmer.
The seminar is made up of seven different modules: one on conceptual and methodological issues, and six other modules of workshops. Participants may choose to attend any one of the workshops organized.
MODULE 1: CONCEPTUAL AND METHODOLOGICAL ISSUES (6h)
- Different approaches to translation teaching (1h)
- Translation-related issues: translation competence and its acquisition (1h)
- Pedagogical issues: theories of teaching; theories of learning; competence-based training (1h)
- Methodological issues: planning and developing a teaching unit; translation task-based approach (1h)
- Assessment: assessing competencies (2h)
MODULE 2: TEACHING DIRECT TRANSLATION WORKSHOPS
- Teaching an introductory course on translation (2h)
- Teaching literary translation (2h)
- Teaching audiovisual translation (2h)
- Teaching legal translation (2h)
- Teaching scientific-technical translation (2h)
MODULE 3: TEACHING INVERSE TRANSLATION WORKSHOPS
- The specificity of inverse translation (2h)
- Teaching an introductory course on inverse translation (2h)
- Teaching specialized inverse translation (2h)
MODULE 4: TEACHING LANGUAGE FOR TRANSLATORS WORKSHOPS
- L2 teaching for translators (2h)
- L1 teaching for translators (2h)
MODULE 5: TEACHING TECHNOLOGIES APPLIED TO TRANSLATION WORKSHOPS
- Teaching the use of electronic corpora in translation (4h)
- Teaching the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in translation (4h)
MODULE 6: PEDAGOGY WORKSHOPS
- Online tools for teaching and learning (2h)
- Assessment tools (2h)
- Teacher portfolios and teacher evaluation (2h)
- Tutorials (1h)
MODULE 7: PROFESSIONAL ASPECTS OF TRANSLATION WORKSHOPS
- Professional aspects of translation and knowledge of the translator’s workplace (2h)
- Tutoring work-placements (1h)
Registration: 1 February-31 May 2012
- Standard rate: 350€
- Reduced rate: 300€ (before 30 March 2012)
- Master’s and PhD students FTI/UAB: 175 €
- Lecturers FTI/UAB: no charge
- Combined Seminar and Conference Fee: 475€; reduced rate: 450€ (before 30 March 2012); Master’s and PhD students FTI/UAB: 200 €
Limited number of places
A Certificate of Attendance will be provided for all participants. To obtain a Certificate of Attendance, participants must have attended at least 20 hours of programmed activities. They must attend Session 1: Conceptual and Methodological Issues (6h), and a further 14 hours of the workshops of their choice.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, VISIT