In the last years, translation has undergone an important transformation on both the computer software applied to translation and the texts to be translated. Translation software is used for almost all of the translation processes: from the creation of the original document, the translation or creation of help resources (glossaries, databases, etc.), to the final formatting of the translated document. This is the reason why translators should face the challenge of getting training in all of these new fields.
Tradumatica is an incipient field in translation research, and technological advances that take part in professional translation are frequently used without thinking about the consequences they may have on the translation process and results, as well as the translator's training.
Tradumàtica group was the first research group to think about all these questions and even the neologism tradumatica has been applied to this field in Spanish and Catalan. The group has become the reference in this field and, besides educational activities, research activities have been carried out as well. All of this could only be possible in the framework of an important research group like Tradumàtica.
Tradumàtica has several subjects in the specialty of research for the Official Master's degree in Translation, Interpretation and Intercultural Studies, and also takes part in the Ph.D. program of Translation and Interculturality of the Translation and Interpretation Department of the Universitat Autònoma of Barcelona .
The objectives of our research activities are:
• Reflecting on the systematization of the translation process as a consequence of its digitalization.
• Considering the phases of the systematized translation process.
• Testing software and formats that are currently being used and make improvement proposals.
• Developing measure and quality check systems for translated texts using a digital translation process.
• Developing new educational applications in order to improve the translators' training.